Friday, July 16, 2010

Marriage to God

I've heard a lot of guys say that they don't want to get involved in a serious relationship until they are "right" with God. I used to think that that was a way of saying, "I'm too lazy to deal with a relationship." Either that or their relationship with God is getting in the way of a relationship with people, so they want to wait until it's steady. It's weird because God usually doesn't call us to something and then wait till we are ready to do it before he sends us. He calls us, and sends us, and through that process, we grow in righteousness. "But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are." (1 Cor. 1:27-28)

But I think I kind of understand the heart people say that they want to wait till they're "right" with God. It's because a marriage is serious. Much like our relationship with God. It's serious.

I feel like the last 13 or 14 months have been culminating in this understanding. That my relationship with God should never be taken lightly. It's like a marriage. There should never be a day--in the future--when I wake up next to my wife and decide, "Today, I'm not going to love this person. Today I'm going to go find another wife, but just for today." It doesn't work that way. And that's what I've been doing for the last 13 or 14 months; I've been waking up, and on occasion I'll decide, "Not today, God." And other days I'll take Him out with me to public places and flaunt Him.

I think that it's time for me to jump into my relationship with Jesus as though it's a marriage. It's time for me to treat my marriage to God as a covenant; not a promise, but a covenant founded in blood.

1 comment:

  1. Very true! Good thoughts and writing. You blog makes me evaluate my relationship with God, thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete